Sunday, April 19, 2009

OraFest ‘09 at Infosys


Infosys was ablaze on 29 March 09.

It sizzled with unbridled talent as the participants of speech contest at the OraFest ’09 fought with a fire in their belly that is rarely witnessed! Eventually, the tough-minded and tough-spirited emerged out of the furnace more fluent, more knowledgeable, and, of course, with a sparkling bronze trophy in their hands.

This was the first time I attended Toastmasters and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I guess there exist about 10-12 clubs in the city. Unfortunately, I came to know of them only a couple of weeks ago. Sigh. Anyway, I would have never known about them, had it not been for my brother who dug out and sent me details of various clubs located in and around Hyderabad. And when I caught wind of OraFest ‘09 at Infosys, I simply couldn’t stop myself from attending it. I think it’s an annual fest where members of various clubs congregate. Among them, a select few members participate in the speech contests.

The speech contests were fun. The topics were funnier. Some of the topics were like “One Last Chance” “Me, the impossible”…so on. It was exciting watching the contestants dole out gripping talks on weird topics. With the speakers in action, you could easily decipher that the clubs were doing their job well! I mean damn well! All of them were so bold and confident on stage; you know they have been honing their oratory skills all along. Frankly, they were some speakers who deserved a standing ovation. The participants were gauged on various parameters such as pronunciation, speed; staying on topic…when the competition concluded, it was no doubt a nail-biting finish.

Before the curtains came down on Orafest ’09, the MC announced that the winners in this competition would automatically qualify for the main event “Ovations ’09" at Sri Lanka in May '09. Surprise! Surprise! All the club members were also invited to Sri Lanka as long as they bear their own travel expenses. Boy! How I wanted to be a part of that troop to Sri Lanka. But the part, I would have to make my own travel arrangements since all have already booked their tickets, took the air out of me! That’s when I decided to stay in India than go alone to Sri Lanka. Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, isn’t there a war going on in Sri Lanka? ;)

What's more, I have never been to Infosys before, therefore, was quite stunned to see the sprawling acres of greenery dotted with myriad colorful flowers. At Infosys, anybody would get a feeling of being transported to another country. The ambience is simply out-of-this-world. The wide stretch of asphalt amidst landscaped greenery, the morning sunlight drenching the freshly blossomed flowers, the delicate balance of nature with the architectural splendour, the soothing silence…Man, you are in a different world. All I can say is lucky infosysians.

Anyway, I am looking forward to attend the Toastmasters club on a regular beat! Phew! There is still so much to learn in life!

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...