Saturday, May 25, 2013

Darren Lecroix - The World Champion of Public Speaking



When Darren Lecroix says, “I became a comedian because I was willing to fail” you know he’s not joking.

Oration 2013, an annual event of Toastmasters, which was held at Novotel, Hyderabad, was simply mind blowing. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take time out to be present there for all days but took just enough time to manage to listen to Darren Lecroix, who won the international Toastmasters’ speech contest sometime ago. What makes me burn with envy is his ability to be as natural on stage as he is with you talking one-on-one. For that matter, I have always envied public speakers. Feel no shame in saying I turn completely green-eyed when I see the influence they hold. And I secretly long for it. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that my heart longs to be a part of toastmasters club, but unfortunately the time schedule often plays the devil – And I am left wandering to events only as a guest not as a Toastmaster.

Darren’s insights on public speaking were subterranean and effective. He says he is inspired by the former world champion’s statement: Never turn down stage time. Acting on this, he always ensures he hasn’t a moment to lose on stage but looks for ways to bettering his performance, every time. He adds, “Learning is a constant process. One needs to ask and acquire feedback. You don’t know, what you don’t know, period”.

He methodically takes us through the performing process. He explains, “Imagination is powerful. So don’t elucidate everything to the audience. When I say I went to a Xerox shop saw reams of paper and the sheets shooting out of Xerox machine, I have given just enough data to build that up in one’s imagination”. He then questions the audience, “Now, tell me what was the colour of the walls in the Xerox shop?” The audience screamed: “Blue”, “Brown”, “Green”…. He explains: “See, I have never mentioned that.  But your imagination has gone to all the Xerox shops you have ever visited and picked up the colours. Similarly, in speaking you don’t give too many details and confuse the sub-conscious. Just touch the canvas. Don’t paint it. Some things are better left unsaid”. I was like…Wow. Amazing. I didn’t know that. In fact, I got scribbling all these so many not-to-missed parts into my notes that I almost ran out of paper. Another gem of an advice he gave us was, “Don’t pause for effect. Pause to reflect”.

He left us with some probing questions. Ask yourself. As a public speaker, what do I want my audience to do, think and feel after I am done speaking? What will they remember 3 days after I speak?  Was my opening and closing impacting? When he says speaking is not a monologue but a dialogue, you wonder… if it's right? Eventually, Darren proves it is. When it got finished. I came out with my head still in the clouds. I had an absolutely rocking time. Darren Lecroix sure has a bagful of tricks when it comes to public speaking. Little wonder he is at the top of his game! 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...