Sunday, February 8, 2015

Gyan from an ‘Autowala’

I was going through someone's writing when I came across the story of how an autowala spoke impeccable English, surprising the passenger.

Instantly, my thoughts drifted back to a similar incident and started mulling over it. Oh God! It was shock of the shocks. The incident is still fresh in mind. It was the wee hours of morning; the sun was yet to light up the sky with its golden glow, I arrived at Hyderabad from Karnataka on a train and desperately sought to go home since I had a tiresome night. Knowing the sneaky cunningness of autowalas, I was cautious in choosing my ride. However, there was this huge six-footer, weighing more than 100 kilos, doggedly pursuing me to pick his auto. His hair was unkempt and nails, long and grimy. Though his appearance was deceptive, his plea, I judged, was genuine. So, I took the ride, throwing aside caution to the wind. However, I emphatically expressed that I would not pay a penny more than the meter reading. He nodded, agreeing to the deal.

While journeying home in the auto, I was submerged in a book by Graham Greene. Giving me a backward glance, the auto driver asked me who the author was. For a moment I was completely taken aback. Pardon?! And he enquired again, “Is the writer Arthur Hailey?”.  I said, “You know Arthur Hailey?” He quipped, “Yes”. My curiosity peaked; you mean you heard of him?! “Actually, I read his books Hotel, Airport and others” he answered. Then he spoke to me in flawless English but you could make out he hadn't used it - as the trade he was in never necessitated it. But one can effortlessly make out he was well read by the way he spoke of the authors and what their books were about.

He lauded a book called ‘Roots’ though I have come across this title often, I always thought I’ll pick it up later. 'Roots' is actually a saga of an American family. But after my some what recent reading of 'Gone with the Wind' I was little hesitant to pick a classic, for sometime at least. He said, after reading this book, he literally wept. I was completely enamored, because you don’t come across auto drivers who read Arthur Haileys and shed tears on reading emotional classics. He actually spoke of two more authors with much reverence. But I don’t remember the names now as this happened sometime ago. I was quite refreshed talking to this guy.

When I enquired what actually happened?! How did he come into this profession? He explained that his father expired when he was still in college and he was forced to take up the mantel of fending for himself and his family. But I saw no regret on his face. His auto was strewn with Telugu and English newspapers, emphasising his interest in reading. On getting down the auto, I paid him the amount the metre showed. Not a penny more; not a penny less.

Of course, I did tip him twenty bucks more for reading good books. 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...