Friday, May 22, 2015

A Strange Case of Billy Biswas

We, a group of friends, visit the Sunday book market at Abids on a regular basis. The reason being to rake in as many good books as possible before they vanish off the streets. Book hunting, for professionals haulers, is a game. Unfortunately, I am a greenhorn.  But, a few band members have become so adept, they could spot a phony from the genuine in a jiffy. They could spot a famous author among thousand unknown writers in no time. Call it talent. Or honed skill. Believe me, they are on a different plateau.
 
So, it wasn’t a surprise that Vinod, a good friend and fellow blogger, spotted ‘A Strange Case of Billy Biswas’ that was selling for a mere Rs 50 in a heap of books. I once read that this particular Arun Joshi’s title was listed amongst 100 books one must read before dying. I made a mental note but never thought could come across one so easily and at so cut-rate. I leapt at the opportunity. Vinod obliged even though he wanted to keep the copy. So, I traded fifty rupees for the book with the seller.

This was my first Arun Joshi’s book. I would say his writing isn’t exceptional but his thought line is near genius. In some places, I liked the description where he talks about a storm brewing and describes how people are running for shelter and details out a description of a paper twisting and turning in the air and eventually splashing in one’s face. You can’t overlook the author’s eye for such detail.  He is a writer who knows how to pick such things and string them in a story to give it profundity as well as a pleasing tint.

Moreover, the story grips you. You know you are being led into unknown territories throughout. Mental asylums, Anthropology, wild forests and other unfamiliar stuff. All through the book, he keeps the thread of suspense hanging and you end up taking the bait by reading few more pages even though you have other pressing engagements.

As for me, if possible, I like to read books at one go. Since I started the book late in the night, I could only finish one-third of it. Later, the book started pulling at my heartstrings. I was wondering how it will end, the story so far has been as weird as it could it get. Even though I was talking to my boss or the clients, my thoughts kept wandering back to the book wanting to know how it will end.

I tell you, if the curiosity killed the cat, mine almost murdered me! Anyway, having finished the book, I now feel at peace with myself, with the world and with Arun Joshi’s story. Phew!
 
 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...