Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Marathon that Wasn't - For Me!

Last month, Airtel organised a marathon run in Hyderabad. I desperately wanted to participate in the full marathon; unfortunately, there was tremendous workload at the office. Working for not one but for almost four different organisations, I always find myself in a tight spot. To wiggle out of work is nothing short of a miracle. Yet, there is no complaining. Anyway, before I sound the bugle a little too loud for comfort, I would like to express that I am terribly distraught at not participating in the marathon. 

The pain transforms itself into unbearable, when friends on facebook repeatedly keep posting their beaming faces at the finish line. This is enough to make me punch a hole in the computer. Since computers or laptops don’t come easy, I let my pumped up adrenaline cool off by taking a walk in the park. Even in the park you see joggers running and you see nothing but red. Anyway, the disappointment is something that I am going to have to live with for a long time. 

As if the agony of not participating is not enough, my family members’ rubbing it in with constant quibbling that ‘I couldn’t a run mile and I am planning to run a marathon’ makes me fume through  my ears. The sentence keeps ringing in my head like the haunting dialogue “Beta soja ..soja nahi to gabbar singh aa jaayega.”. Of course, my problem is tad serious in nature than the village of Ramgarh. In this matter, neither Amitabh nor Dharmendra can lend a hand. Basanti, undoubtedly, is a long shot. Of course, I do recollect that Sanjay Kapoor had no hands but legs. What he accomplished with them at the end of the movie, made me flinch. Ouch! 

Actually, with the run in mind, I had bought an armband and downloaded an interesting app which could measure footsteps, heartbeats and the works. I was fully geared until I realized the bosses of my organizations had different plans for my future. To make me run after money instead of a marathon run. Of course, 10k, half-a-marathon or marathons never paid me anything; ironically, I paid money to run, which I could do anytime any day, nonetheless I wanted it that way. When you think back, ‘ Wasn’t that sheer madness?’ is the first thing that jumps to mind and runs around in circles in head.

Anyway, I stand decided: the next time; I’ll do the whole marathon, come rain or hailstorm. 

Talking of hailstorm, someone I know had run a Boston marathon. While he decided to run the toughest marathon on earth, the gods played foul and a heavy downpour descended on participants. Anyway, unlike me, he ignored gods and the rain and completed the full race. I am delighted he didn’t yield. Because now I look up to him as the god of Marathon. 

Well, thinking within the box, since the next marathon is a good year away… what do I do?! Train? Or Gain? 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...