Thursday, May 26, 2016

Star Movies Brings Back Memories.

Will someone tell me where Mel Gibson is these days? 

Actually, I was watching his movie ' Lethal Weapon 2' on Star Movies and my thoughts instantly drifted back to this handsome hunk, whose hairstyle and dressing we used to copycat as youngsters. Frankly, there were some cool movies of his that really bowled us over. Remember?! A Bird on a Wire, Ransom, Lethal Weapon, Lethal Weapon 1 , Lethal Weapon 2, Brave Heart, The Patriot, Maverick, What Women Want… all of which featured Mel Gibson in his inimitable style and he never failed to impress us. 

I still remember how I grew my hair long after seeing him in 'Lethal Weapon 2'. My dad even though he secretly condemned the act, was glad I didn’t look that bad either. Growing your hair long back then was nothing less than a sacrilege which invited neighbours, relatives and family’s full wrath – all at once. The repentance for such rebellion was getting one’s head tonsured. 

However, I was only subjected to occasional outbursts of anger. After a month back, I was forced to relegate back to my original short hair.  I secretly wished if I only could have them out of my hair. Now, I could only chuckle over those things. 

Anyways, talking of Mel Gibson, 'Lethal Weapon 2', which featured on star movies the other day, was awesome. The story was tight. The dialogues, punchy. It’s been a long time since I saw the movie, so, everything seemed brand new. This perhaps is one movie where the heroine is killed yet you see nothing askew.  

Danny Glover adds zing to the movie. There’s this particular scene that’s really uproarious. Danny Glover, a police officer in the movie, invites Mel Gibson, another police officer, over to his house to watch a commercial in which his daughter featured. Everyone’s excited. The family is glued to Television. When the commercial turns on and is half way through, everyone realizes that the advertisement is of a contraceptive product. You should watch Danny Glover’s face turn to stone as he switches off the TV and with a dazed look asks everyone to leave the room. Unabashedly hilarious! 

Joe Pesci spices up the movie a bit more. His comic timing is amazing. I simply rolled over with laughter at the dialogues. His acting skills come to fore in the movie ‘My Cousin Vinny’! Anyways, ‘Lethal Weapon 2' will always be remembered because we, friends, bunked the college and stealthily burgled ourselves into theatre to watch  this cop movie! 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...