Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mango Juice Trickling Through Fingers.


After a long time, I had the opportunity of relishing sliced pieces of a sweet mango. My mom handed them on a plate with a tiny fork. Munching on these, my mind quickly wandered to childhood days.

As kids, we used to fight tooth and nail over a mango seed. That is because the seed almost always contained a larger portion of the mango pulp. This, consequently, stood as a contest. The kid who finally got his hands on the seed had won. Hands down! Hands gooey! When I think back on those days I only smile. Then, there was no fear of being taunted. No fear of getting your hands gooey. No fear of looking silly slurping on a mango seed. Only the delight of eating the mango.

As grown-ups, I find we are suddenly straight jacketed with rules and regimes. We rarely follow our heart. Most often we follow what others think is right. We don’t set trends. In a way, we have lost our own true identity. We have become another cog in the wheel. That’s quite sad.

While I was still munching on the tiny mango pieces a strange thought crossed my mind. I smiled to myself. I yelled to my mom in the kitchen. “Mom, do you still have the mango seed.” As expected the answer was yes.

So, before I could stop him, the kid in me leaped and dashed to the kitchen…

Rules? Who cares!!

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...