Friday, June 5, 2015

A splash of color. A taste of life. A dash at being myself.


The inclination to trail in the footsteps of M.F.Husain has long been there. Unfortunately, for years, I splurged time doing nothing of significance. But the passion to indulge in at least one oil painting has been hovering on my head like the sword of …whatever the guy’s name is.

But the zillion dollar question remained: who would guide me into using paints. It was a baffling mind scramble. All sorts of questions popped inside my head. How much of linseed oil? What brushes to purchase? Where to get the canvas? Which ones are better: acrylics or oils?  Eventually, what do I do with all the paintings I would draw?!

Fortuitously, technology opened doors. While I was looking for answers, enlightenment portal, ‘YouTube’ beamed me to some remote place - a maestro’s chamber perhaps. He explained the artist’s role with regard oils and canvas - explicitly.  Afterwards, I was beamed back. There was a difference before and after this transmuting teleportation, I travelled as greenhorn returned as enlightened Buddha (That's got nothing to do with clothing, mind you!).

In other words, I was like Bradley Cooper taking the ‘Pill of enlightenment’ and getting a crystal-clarity on what sequentially needs to be done. Suddenly, everything fell into place like a gigantic Jigsaw puzzle.  I grasped I could wield brushes the same way a karate black belt holder would use a ‘Nunchaku’.

The African couple - my initial painting proved a super blooper. But, my guru, Brian Tracy whispered. ‘Don’t worry it’s your first. Learn from it’. A sudden change in perception topsy-turvied my discernment. I realized colors were original, but strokes needed to be sleeker. So, I began working on them. Brush contamination was a major challenge, but I overcame it with a smart move - by buying new ones.

Soon, I was doing lots of paintings. Though some of them were like what-the-hell-I-worked-on kinds, the others totally surprised me. Surprised me because they were blank for a long time. ‘Artist’s block’ a friend explained to me later. I was down with paints all around me except on the canvas. This went on for days.

To get rid of this block. I walked couple of blocks every day. Visited art exhibitions. Turned to YouTube. This time, they turned me away like an unwanted friend. Nevertheless, persistence is a good ally and I triumphed over this ‘Artist’s block’ by  initially drawing blocks, then graduating to squares and eventually sticking to circles.

Once I mastered these nuances, painting indeed became a delightful indulgence. Except, the parts, where oils stuck to clothes and colours wouldn’t leave my hands for days. But, on the other hand, painting did add colour to my life!

Today, I have paintings that could go under the hammer. Well, maybe not. However, on second thoughts,  they can go into a gallery as an exhibition. That’s precisely what I strategize to do.

A few enquiries revealed that you need at least 25 paintings to hold an exhibition…and I have done about 3 and half. So, here’s hoping my paintings will make it to the gallery by 2050. Wish me luck. I so badly need it. ;)
 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...