Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Inspired by the Chef-d’oeuvre


I was at an advertising agency on some work when I noticed a painting of a horse hanging on the wall. On a closer look, I found out that it was one of those rare arts of painting - “The knife painting”. Inside the frame, amidst a pale blue backdrop, was a magnificent spread of shades which took the form of a horse. The horse in a way looked vibrant, graceful and alive.

It was so appealing I immediately wanted to acquire it at any cost. As I stood enquiring about where one could buy such piece, I heard a voice behind me quip, “There’s only one piece and it’s not for sale”. I turned around to find the art director of the agency open the door and come in. He was beaming. I swallowed my disappointment and retorted, “That’s ok, but I just want to know where you bought it from?” But as I said, he simply stood smiling.

Then the graphic designers who were working with him let out a mild guffaw. One of them casually remarked, “That the painting was done by the art director”. I was completely taken aback. I knew the art director for sometime but I never knew he had a history of painting, and that too, such good painting. A sucker for good art, I immediately vowed to become his disciple. He only smiled at my perturbed composure.

When I told him of my desire to do knife painting of an American Bald Eagle, he said “Show me the scribble first, then after my approval you could work on the canvas with the oil colors”. That’s precisely what prompted me to do the above scribble.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...