Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cheers to Satyam’s Ramalingam Raju!

The post, before few earlier posts, was about an accident. I never thought I would be scripting about another accident so early. But life, sometimes, hurls at us some unpleasant surprises at really unexpected times. Moreover, this incident happened only a few days ago. So it is very much alive in my mind, therefore the post. It was around 3 pm few days ago, that I and my friend stepped out of our office building and were scurrying out, when we noticed a figure slumped on the stairs of the adjacent building. As we walked closer, we noticed that this man was lying face down and had a head injury and the stairs were all profusely marked by his blood.

First, we were stunned. Then we were worried wondering whether he was dead or alive.

Just then I saw a painter (Whom I knew) sitting and smoking a cigarette only few yards away from this man. Looking at the slumped figure, I asked the painter, “What happened?” He said, “He had a seizure and fell on his head on the stairs.” Then I enquired “Why isn’t anybody doing anything about it?” He said, “Don’t bother, he is mentally retarded”. I screamed, “Are you nuts?” My friend too chipped in and yelled, “After all he is a human. Why don’t you call somebody for help?” To which he questioned, “Whom should I call?” We were both appalled at his indifference. We even noticed some college students pass-by this man but they didn’t even give him a second glance.

We were too shocked to do anything. At the same time, we wanted to help this poor man. Listening to our conversation with the painter, one guy stepped closer and said, “Why don’t you call 108?” Yes, calling 108 would be the right thing to do, I thought.

108 in Andhra Pradesh is an emergency ambulance service which picks up accident victims and administers medical aid. If the victim is too critical, the paramedical staff on the ambulance takes the responsibility of rushing him to the nearest hospital.

I was extremely doubtful about the service. Usually there is a lot of appreciation, government approval and media coverage when the service is launched. After sometime the enthusiasm simply dies down. I thought it would be the same with this service. But when I dialed the number I got a response on the very first ring. The voice on the other end, noted what had happened and asked me to hang on while he put me in contact with the nearest 108 ambulance. The ambulance driver took the address and in precisely 4 minutes and 20 secounds arrived in his vehicle with blaring sirens.

Having heard the story from our side, the paramedical staff on the ambulance took the accident victim and treated him for injuries. After his head was bandaged, he was discharged as they found that there were no internal injuries but only external.

For those who aren’t aware, although state government is currently running the 108 service, it was actually launched by none other than Satyam’s Ramalingam Raju. To me, Ramalingam Raju comes across as a pious soul. Had he not squealed under pressure, he would have been looked upon as an Indian god of IT. In a way, he was at least honest enough to confess fraud. Frankly, how many business men are confessing to committing fraud? How many politicians are taking responsibility for corruption charges? How many government employees are admitting to taking bribes? None I know of, except Raju, who for reasons best known to him, had confessed that he committed fraud. In other words, he is an honest individual, I should say.

Although Ramalingam Raju is languishing in jail, he has at least set in motion a process that ensures immediate medical treatment to accident victims. Ramalingam Raju, for once, deserves sincere praise!

2 comments:

Joel Indrupati said...

That was a nice Tall Tale. In Toastmasters, we have - once in a while - a Tall Tale contest. And you should hear the shameless fibbing that goes on! It's very very funny sometimes!!

An excerpt : a friend was driving his car, on one of the roads here, in Manama, when he saw a tall, dignified man with suitcase beside him, trying desperately...waving his thumb at all cars, begging to hitch a ride.

My generous friend was the only one who stopped and helped him. That man said he was a famous indian film actor who lost his passport and visa papers. And that his name was Amitabh Bachan. But my indian friend told him he doesnt watch movies or TV, and has never heard of AB.

But as my friend was always kind to everyone - even strangers - he took AB to the sea shore, to avoid immigration authorities.
Then on a a jet ski which he stole from a baby, he made AB as the pillion rider, zoomed across, over the arabian sea, - straight from manama to mumbai!

AB, therefore, invited him as a special guest for his son's wedding with aishwaria!! (And everyone was shown a Photoshopped-photo of the wedding with my friend in the centre)!

Daniel. I said...

Anna, I think you accidentally commented on the other post. Anyway, I got the gist of it.

I wish Hyderabad also had had a Toastmasters club, it would have been great fun!

Or is there one existing already?

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...