Thursday, March 26, 2009

Good Intentions

I read this story somewhere. My mind is hazy about where I picked it from. However, the story is etched in my mind with crystal clarity. I found it interesting. I thought I would share it with my readers too. This is how it goes:

Once, there lived two pious monks. Their lives completely dedicated to the divine one, leaving no room for worldly or carnal pleasures. On one occasion, they were compelled to undertake a long and tedious journey which would see them cross many a river and a mountain. While they were on this daunting path that they encountered poison ivies, venomous reptiles and wild animals -- being alert to danger -- they tactfully avoided them. But it was when they arrived at the banks of a river, they were perplexed at the situation that stared them in their face. Standing at the river bank was a very, very beautiful woman. Afraid that the flowing waters would carry her downstream, she was anxiously waiting for someone to carry her onto the other side of the river.

Both the monks looked at each other not knowing what to do. Should they leave the woman where she is and not offer any help. Or should they carry her to the other side of the river and defile their thinking. Both possibilities spoke of unpleasant results.

But one of the monks immediately offered help. He picked her up, carried her on his back and crossed the river along with the other monk. After crossing the river he placed the woman down. She thanked him. He nodded and embarked on his journey again. After the two monks traveled some distance, one of them questioned, “We are monks. How could you carry her, for that matter, even touch her?”

To which his friend replied, “I have put the woman down after crossing the river. Why is it that you are still carrying her?”

2 comments:

Al Walling said...

OOoo

i like thispost.

monk-ed.

do update soon.

^_^

Daniel. I said...

Dear Al Walling,

Thanks for visiting the blog. I'll update soon. Only thing is I am little tied up with some official work.

Regards,
Daniel

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...