Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Aparajeethudu – A book launch

It’s quite rarely that I get to attend book launches. Not that I am keen on these events, but this one was unique since the book was translated from English to Telugu. What makes it a little more unique is that the author was none other than my brother-in-law. His autobiography in English – ‘I Will Survive’, launched a few of years ago, was a phenomenal hit. I for one read the book till the wee hours of morning. And without an iota of doubt I agree, it’s a masterpiece!

Although my initial thoughts when he informed that the book was being translated into Telugu language were: why would anyone even think about this?  Why would anyone plan to purposefully commit Hara-kiri? Of course, my anxiety rested in the comprehension that when the book is going strong in English, why tamper with aesthetics of advancement. But, I was proven dead wrong.

The book – Aparajeethudu (Meaning: a victorious person) had a grand festive opening. The launch, which took place amidst the stalwarts of Telugu literature, dazzled with ladies draped in traditional apparel, lending a distinct touch of the Telugu culture. The perfume of jasmine flowers intermingled with musk had one thinking that one was gracing a traditional ceremony of sorts. The venue was lit up with Telugu language lovers and, of course, acquaintances, friends and family members too graced the event in good numbers.

There was Dr. Pattabhiram, the noted psychologist and hypnotist, and a couple of other leading journalists. Their adulations and enhancements on the book delivered goose bumps. Rama Krishna, who I presume is a noted journalist, bestowed praise on the translator for thoroughness of work, while highlighting subtle events that touched a special chord in him. Though a slightly lengthy speech, people listened in rapt attention, because of the enticing narration.

The ladies who compeered the programme knew how to engage the audiences in rapt attention. It was easily evident that those who read the book were touched by its contents. Bhavana, the translator, was appreciated for her hard work and for retaining the rich flavor while succinctly conveying the message. She too praised  the book and its contents while underscoring the difficulty to stand to the expectations of the readers in a different language.


On the whole, the event concluded on a beautiful note and I held the privilege of meeting old friends and relatives and was seriously encouraged to engage in some sort of action. Since, lurking in the shadows isn’t doing any good to my already non-existent image. I hope I can draw some inspiration and set out to write a fiction, which has been one of my dreams. Hopefully…soon. 

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...