Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Araku Valley Reminisces!

A few months ago, I decided to take a break from the hectic office work. I could sense the mountains calling out to me. I absolutely had no interest in displeasing these once-in-a-while magical utterances of the nature. So, citing a non-existent marriage as a reason to a very strict management, I took a bow from the daily duties and set off to relish an unforgettable time in the lap of nature.

Initially, I was undecided as to where to go! Then, Araku valley filled my thoughts. I had visited this place during my college days and had an awesome time! Hoping the trip would do a world of good to me, I caught the next train to Vizag. 

Araku Valley is supposedly around 4-6 hours journey from Vizag, depending on how many hours the train driver plans to stop at each station. I had huge expectations of the train journey, but everything fell flat. The hazards of travelling without proper preparation sprang surprise after surprise.

On train, it was people, people and people everywhere. It was nothing short of miracle that I managed to grab a seat. I sat petrified as any wrong move would leave me seat-less. Imagine, a ride with people falling all over you for 5 hours. Of course, a few among them were good looking ladies too! Not that I liked it, but just saying. ;)

As the train chugged along the tortuous way up the valley the delightful sights gave me chills. The faraway waterfalls descending from canopied shrubbery, the fog romancing the mountain tops, the incessant drizzle drenching the nature around, and the cool zephyr that caressed the skin were enough to put a spring in one’s walk. 
  
But all didn’t go well at the camp. When I stepped on to the shores of Araku, I ran around in circles as almost all hotels were booked. And I had nowhere to go. The thought of returning back in the same train did cross the mind. But, fortunately, there was an old man at a certain hotel’s reception, squint-eyed and hard at hearing, who offered a room. My delight knew no bounds and wanted to hug him, but didn’t, as he might think otherwise. 

Next day, when I ventured out, it was raining again. Still, I trudged along and caught a jeep ride to nearby tourist spot called ‘Chaparai’. By then, the rain had trickled into a mere drizzle. I had an amazing time. There were tribals who did the Dhimsa dance. Bamboo Biryani, which tasted real yummy. The river was only knee-deep and the water gently overflowed on the big rocks making it an exciting tourist spot. 

The weather, which by then was a gentle drizzle, added its own charm. After sometime, I visited the nearby tribal museum which was informative and gulped down coffee at a closeby shop. The coffee beans cultivated at Araku are supposed to brew a greatly delicious coffee. I was glad I had a taste of this ambrosia. However, I skipped the Borra caves. Somehow, I didn’t find it interesting.  I stayed on for almost three days and trekked the forests and relished nature at close quarters. 

As a tourist, if you are looking for exciting stuff to happen, then Araku is not for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for peace and tranquility, it’s an idyllic destination to relish the invigorating greenery all around. The return journey wasn’t so exciting. So I am going to spare you the trouble and steer right away from mentioning it. On the whole, the trip had its own aura of charm which I am sure will remain as an enchanting memory! 








No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...