Tuesday, February 3, 2009

90 Minutes in Heaven

Finally, I laid my hands on the book I was scouting high and low for – “90 Minutes in Heaven” - The New York Times bestseller. It’s actually a Christian book as a result my problems of acquiring the book at the regular booksellers compounded heavily. Whenever I asked for this book, I was met with only frowns, scratching of heads and doubtful faces. None of them heard about this book or the author. The Christian bookstores weren’t helpful either. They heard about the book. But they didn’t stock it. Even my visit to the far-flung OM (Operation Moblisation) at Bowenpally, Hyderabad, which is considered to be one of the biggest Christian bookstores in India, perhaps in Asia, didn’t yield any results. I was left brooding whether I would ever read this book or will it just turn out to be another mirage in the desert of life?

But finally, finally, a couple of days ago, I was able to get a hold of the copy. It was a simple call to Walden. I told them the book title and who the American publishers were. One pleasant voice took my telephone number and informed me that the staff would call me up if they found the book on the stands. I turned doubtful. But within a few minutes, my phone buzzed to life. The call came from Walden and said they had found the book but it isn’t by an American publisher but by an Inidan publisher - Jaico. I didn’t care who the publishers were, it was the book I was badly hunting for. So, I told them to hang on to it till I reached the spot. Poof. Within a few minutes I appeared before the Walden counter to claim it. I took a bunch of notes out of my wallet, counted and handed over the money in exchange for the book.

On my way, my joy knew no bounds. I was like a young kid holding a DVD of ET dashing home to watch it. I call it ET, because the book in a way was talking about something that’s extra terrestrial. Something that is difficult for the earthly minds to believe in on. Yet, if it is true (which I believe it is), what shocking truths it could reveal about heaven? That’s the reason I acquired the book.

Now, for the story. It is about Don Piper, a Christian priest, who accidentally got hit by a huge eighteen-tyre truck while he was on his way home in the US. After the accident occurred, the police personnel checked Don’s pulse and declared him dead. But inspired by god, another priest, who was passing by the same route, walked closer to the accident spot, waded through the mass of wreckage, placed his hand on Don Piper’s shoulder and started praying to God to save him. He did this, even after the police had told him that Don was dead. As soon as he ended his prayer, he started singing a song, “What a friend we have in Jesus…” Amazingly, he heard another voice sing along with his. That was Don’s. That’s when he rushed to the police and informed that Don was alive.

Until then, except for Don no one knows that Don Piper had actually died and came back to life. During the 90 minutes, that is from the time the accident occurred to the time the pastor started singing the song, Don was actually dead on earth but was taking a walk in heaven near the pearly gates amidst angelic singing. Unfortunately, he was sent back after 90 minutes of stay in heaven. I say “unfortunate” because Don says it. He says heaven is such a lovely place you don’t ever feel like coming back to earth again.

Anyway, I wouldn’t want to spoil the fun by revealing all the contents of the story. For those, who haven’t heard or read this book, I think it’s time you did, because it’s a book that implicitly gives you the details of life after death.

2 comments:

Paresh Palicha said...

Thanks Man! God Bless you!

Daniel. I said...

Thanks Paresh for stopping by.

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...