Friday, February 6, 2009

Discount Sales – The Death of Me!


I didn’t know there existed a shopaholic inside me. I only got a glimpse of him couple of times, but somehow I know he exists. Somehow I know he lurks deep within. Especially, when he stops a minute longer, staring unabashedly at designer clothes on the window display in the shopping malls, or when he throws a curve ball at friends by cutting them in between their sentences and enquiring, “Is it a Pierre Cardin?” And when friends incredulously question, “What?”. Without batting an eyelid he asserts, “I mean the brand you are wearing.” Sometimes, the shopaholic makes me jump out of my skin, but then again it’s my skin. I’d rather do away with him, than jump out.

What’s more, the other day, he made my heart pump harder by dragging me to the nearest Benetton sales showroom. After what seemed like a minute, I was compelled to take a sweeping glance at a huge range of T-Shirts at discounted prices. While my glance steadied on the range, the shopaholic screamed, “Man, look at the price! Do you think one could get a brand like this at a price like that?!” Of course, he is as smooth as silk with words. His words have the magical charm of a piped piper. You just follow him without ever asking a question. Thus, his honey-coated words had wrung my arm into purchasing him four Benetton T-shirts and a pair of jeans. Only later, did I realize the damage and blew my top.

This isn’t the first time he has done such a thing. Last year, during august, he kept looking up at the newspaper ads. Finally, when he noticed something of his interest, he hypnotized me into walking to the nearby Lee showroom and buying him two pairs of wrangler jeans and a couple of t-shirts. At the end, he left me gaping with a half-empty wallet. However, this time, I am keeping a close watch on him. But still, I have to vouch, he is indiscernibly notorious. Had his dwelling place been a rich, socialite woman, she would have welcomed his every move. But with me, he is more out-of-place -- or rather let me put it this way -- I am more out-of-place with him. I simply don’t’ know what to do -- that is apart from screaming.

Damn these Discount sales! Damn the shopaholic…and lastly damn the brands!

2 comments:

HEMANT K. REDDY said...

Truely I have become addict to Danny's blog. Such a refined langauage and great narration makes everyone read from beginning to end in one go. The narration style is unique and outstanding. Hope he writes blogs more often and make his fans happy.
-HEMANT

Daniel. I said...

Thanks Hemant for visiting the blog. Guess what, you are making me float in air with your appreciation ;).

About the postings,I'll try to do more. Thanks for the suggestion.

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...