Saturday, January 5, 2008

By lanes and by lanes.

Life is full of odd twists. 31st December 07 was one such day which had its sway in full vigor. From dawn to dusk I found myself riding life's roller coaster at full throttle. Although I cautiously planned my itinerary quite early to Raichur, Karnataka, my in-laws place, yet everything was thrown out of gear with an unexpected client's call. As this client is someone on whom a major portion of my business hinged, I was left with no alternative but schedule a meeting with him. Clients being clients, with a disarming smile he delivered an invisible punch by asking me to complete some of his work before evening. I promised it would be done, with a desperate hope that God would work a miracle.

I immediately rushed home to catch up on domestic matters with regard to my leaving Hyderabad. The laundry man was missing. The heap of unironed dresses was staring at me. Then there were these CDs which were to be copied. I simply gave up on the job as my wife gave a spine chilling stare. Initially, we planned to go by bus. With time playing a cruel game we decided to catch the train instead. The last train to Raichur was around 5.25 from Nampally. I just had half an hour to rush to the station; moreover there was no reservation for us.

Perilously, we zigzagged through the thick Hyderabad traffic in an auto. Scooted to the ticket counter and bought tickets. And were just in time to clamber on to the whistling train. Having made it to the station on time both of us heaved a sigh of relief. All through the journey I was busy screaming orders to my team to get our clients work done. Afterwards, we stared at each other blankly. After a few more hours, my wife smiled. Extending her hand wished me a Happy New Year, and then it finally dawned on me that I had entered into the year 2008.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...