Saturday, January 19, 2008

A day out at the Hyderabad exhibition

Ever since I quit my job and started out on my own, life has been one exciting tiresome journey. Actually with a move like that, I thought I would have huge chunks of time which I would fill in with lot of exciting things, but it proved otherwise.

With my time now finely split among several clients, I hardly have time for myself. So, it came as a pleasant surprise when I found that I actually had time to visit the exhibition with my wife. The exhibition at Hyderabad, which happens once every year during the months of December, January and February, is quite reputed. The vendors who set up stalls at this place come from places as far as Jammu and Kashmir in the north and Kanya kumari in the south. So, imagine the diversity of products and services that Hyderabadi people get to see.

The moment I stepped into the exhibition, I immediately felt one with the flashing lights, bustling crowds, announcements on the blaring loud speakers and familiar chants of the vendors beckoning your attention. The jewelery and the bangle stalls made me feel as though I was walking the busy streets of Baghdad. But shockingly the prices were outrageous.

But still, I bought a couple of household things. A shawl for my mom and a kurta for my dad. Silk scarfs for my aunt. A nice handbag and a couple of dresses were what my wife got. As for me, I had other plans to spend my money on -Like getting on the Giant Wheel. But to my dismay my wife said she would immediately go home if I tried to do something like that.

So even though I have enjoyed stalking the stalls late into the night at the exhibition, my dream to get on the Giant Wheel still remains elusive. I am actually planning to sneak away to the exhibition once again, as soon as my wife is off to complete her PhD. What do you say?

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...