Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jeffrey Archer’s 36 Collected short stories

The other day when I was at Abids, I struck a bad bargain. The book, The Collected Short Stories of Jeffrey Archer, which I could have bought at fifty rupees I bought it for seventy rupees. After I struck the deal, there was remorse written all over my face. How can I make such a foolish mistake? Then I pondered over what the lost twenty rupees could have bought me - four Reader’s Digests! And moreover you don’t go to Abids every other day to buy books. The thought was recurrent. But the penalty seemed final.

Anyway, when I completed reading four or five stories, I didn’t actually mind losing that twenty Rupees. I felt the book truly deserved it. The book was a treasure chest of stories that carved a special place in my heart. Each story was a masterpiece. Each story was written with a flow that good writers would burn with envy. Jeffrey Archer sure knows how to take you through a thick maze of mystery without hurting your emotions. Even if he does, it is in a class of his own!

With his story in the book like “The Steal” where the two professors both husband and wife go on a hunt for a carpet in Turkey and finally end up with two rich clowns countering their every move, or in the story, "Just good friends" where the ending takes you by complete surprise…Jeffrey Archer knows the pulse of the reader. He can make it race faster or make it stop... I mean for a short time, it depends on his mood! And you are at his mercy!

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...