Monday, March 3, 2008

Salar Jung Museum – Anybody’s favorite tourist spot

The other day I had another good opportunity to visit Salar Jung Museum. No matter how often I visit this place, my eyes are hungry for more. The rare collection, the unmatched sculpting, the amusing ivory works…will leave anyone thinking. Thinking hard as to how Salar Jung III managed to collect so many articles? And what really ignited his passion do this?

In fact, some inside stories have it that the collection has greatly dwindled down because of few unscrupulous elements in the museum who sold some items for personal gains. Even I have noticed that there were some small daggers with gemstones on the handles on my earlier visit, which I found missing on my recent visit. I wonder if someone is responsible for it or if they have been simply sent somewhere else with the museum’s permission. Anyway, it was truly a heartwarming experience for me to watch the ancient splendor carefully stocked for public viewing. Apart from the sculptures Rebecca’s veil and Mephistopheles, what caught my interest was the Ivory room. I was completely surprised to note that there was an ivory mat. I mean a mat woven out of ivory. Amazing, isn’t it? At Salar Jung Museum, one will never fail to notice such trivial but unusual things, which later gently gnaw one’s imagination.

Another added attraction was the food court. Maybe it was there when I last visited the museum, but I didn’t notice it. This time, as I was famished to the bone, I ventured into it to grab a bite. It was a neat place with seemingly piping snacks, where I, along with my stomach, indulged fully, caring nothing for stuff like B.P, Sugar etc.

Unlike other places, where the security personnel rough you up caring two hoots about you, the museum security guards were very polite. The premises were well-maintained with proper electronic surveillance in place. If you have any foreigner visiting you in Hyderabad, the first thing you must show the foreigner is - Salar Jung Museum so you can have a definite impressive head start.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...