Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reader’s Digests at throw away prices

I was planning to pay a visit to Abids on a Sunday (Where one finds books at shockingly low prices) but was unable to do it because of my hectic Sunday schedules. But last Sunday, was one of those rare ones where I had plenty of time on hand. So, I decided to pay a visit to Abids. For a booklover like me, going to Abids is like a glutton going to a feast. The books make me salivate!

For these vendors too Sundays are like festivals. It colors their lives -- as the Sunday market throngs with booklovers for whom cost is not an inhibiting factor if the book of their choice is on the racks. These vendors know this fact and play their cards close to their chest. Furthermore, they are well-versed with almost all the good authors and won’t part with a book from a good author easily. The reader has to pay a price (which is usually less than what you pay at Shoppers’ stop or other big bookstores) before deciding to take home the prized possessions. Since it is usually a win-win situation nobody is complaining.

Actually, the thought struck me quite late in the evening to pay a visit to Abids. So I hurried to net my catch before the sun went down. I was walking along the pedestrian path when my glance fell on a Reader’s Digest. It was the latest issue February 2008. Hoping that it would cost a bomb I asked the vendor, “How much?”. He said, “Dus rupai” I was taken aback. A 50 Rupee magazine for 10 Rupees? Then, trying to stretch my luck a little further, I picked up an old issue of Reader’s Digest and asked him, “How much for this?” He said “Panch Rupai”. I silently took out a wad of ten rupee notes and handed him sixty five rupees for twelve Reader’s Digests books. Once the deal was struck, I went all the way laughing to my home. I guess only Hyderabad can offer so much..... for so little.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...