Thursday, March 13, 2008

O. Henry – An author with an unusual twist in his plot

If I were to coin a phrase I would coin it as, “If you haven’t read O. Henry, You haven’t read anything at all”. Of course, and would have dedicated the phrase to this same, wonderful writer. I came across this genius writer when I was in school. Fortunately, one of his works with the title, “The ransom of the Red Chief” crept into our English text book then. After I read his work, I fell in love with his fascinating sense of humor, especially, with his unexpected endings. The more I read his works, the more I liked the author. Although his English seems to be quite outdated when compared to the present times yet it doesn’t fail to deliver the rib tickling, creative, power-packed punch.

Furthermore, not all his stories are laced with humor; some have a very touching, tragic ending. Besides, his stories had such a profound affect that some of the 60’s and 70’s bollywood directors shamelessly copied them. I still remember an incident from – I don’t know which movie it was - where Rakesh Roshan sells his only guitar to buy a shirt for Rishi kapoor and Rishi kapoor sells his only coat to a buy the guitar’s string for Rakesh Roshan, this is a straight lift from one of O. Henry’s stories. No wonder plagiarism seems to be an inherited trait with the Indian directors.

Coming back to O.Henry and his works, here are some of the stories I liked the most: The Ransom of the Red Chief, The Last Leaf, After Twenty Years, Compliments of the Season, The Romance of the Busy Broker, From the Cabby’s Seat and The Cop and the Anthem. Go ahead, buy yourself O. Henry’s 100 selected stories (which is easily available in any boookstore) and have a relaxed and enjoyable reading.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...