Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A visit to Crossword at Shoppers’ Stop

I have heard a lot about Crossword – the book store at Shoppers Stop – but I never actually found time to visit it. Yesterday, I have been to Begumpet on an office assignment, and could squeeze just enough time to pay a visit. But I was surprised. I thought the store would be a huge one with tons of books from this end to that end. What I found in fact was a small corner inside Shoppers’ Stop visibly marked with black and yellow stickers on which was written Crossword. Surprisingly, the collection too was very limited. The write-ups and advertisements sure have fooled a lot of innocents like me into believing Crossword to be a big bookstore. Nevertheless whatever collection was there, was pretty good.


There were books by Paul Theroux, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Pico Iyer, Salman Rushdie, Wilbur Smith, Tom Clancy, John Grisham, Jefrrey Archery and more. Of late, I have become a big fan of Paul Theroux whose travel writings have inspired many a writer’s soul. Another book which seems to be making ripples in the market and on which I would like to lay my hands is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I heard the book is applauded across the world and is now being shot into a movie. It’s a story about friendship between a wealthy Afghan youth and a servant’s son. Talking about Afghan, I am half way through Frederick Forsyth’s, The Afghan, and find it quite gripping. Maybe, if I complete it today, I will go and purchase The kite runner tomorrow.

No comments:

And The Oscar Goes To...

This was published in the newspaper The Hans India  The 92 nd   Oscar Awards are all poised to razzle-dazzle with big guns of film frate...